I have been having a lot of fun stencilling cushion covers this week, using my stencil paint, and I have also mixed some colours using screen printing inks. This is such a quick, easy and satisfying thing to do and here is how.
- On a clean surface smooth out the cushion cover. If the fabric is thin place some paper inside the cover to prevent the paint from bleeding through. This is not necessary on thicker fabric such as canvas though.
- Lightly coat the back of the stencil with a spray adhesive and position it on the cover gently tapping it down. You could use a low tack tape to hold the stencil in place instead.
- Dip the tip of the stencil brush in the paint and remove as much as possible on a piece of paper.
- Using a circular motion apply the paint through the stencil, pushing down into the weave of the fabric.
- Carefully remove the stencil and once dry press the cover using a hot iron then fill with a lovely squishy pad.I always use a feather filled pad.
It has been great going back to my textile roots this week and now I have a hankering to get back to a bit of furniture painting Tomorrow I’ll be searching for a bargain in need of a touch of TLC and some serious reinvention.
You can find the stencils here